Oostenrijk: Na meer dan 4 jaar gebruik mobiele telefoon wordt tinnitus een mogelijke risicofactor.
donderdag, 01 juli 2010 - Categorie: Onderzoeken
Bron: (Britisch Medical Journals) Occupational and Environmental Medicine 23 juni 2010
Tinnitus and mobile phone use
1. Hans-Peter Hutter1,
2. Hanns Moshammer1,
3. Peter Wallner2,
4. Monika Cartellieri3,
5. Doris-Maria Denk-Linnert4,
6. Michaela Katzinger4,
7. Klaus Ehrenberger4,
8. Michael Kundi1
+ Author Affiliations
1. Institute of Environmental Health, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
2. Medicine and Environmental Protection mus, Vienna, Vienna, Austria
3. Ear Nose and Throat Department, Kaiser-Franz-Josef-Spital, Vienna, Austria
4. Ear Nose and Throat Department, Medical University of Vienna, Vienna, Austria
1. Correspondence to Professor Michael Kundi, Institute of Environmental Health, Center for Public Health, Medical University of Vienna, Kinderspitalgasse 15, A-1095 Vienna, Austria; email@example.com
* Accepted 4 March 2010
* Published Online First 23 June 2010
The mechanisms that produce tinnitus are not fully understood. While tinnitus can be associated with diseases and disorders of the ear, retrocochlear diseases and vascular pathologies, there are few known risk factors for tinnitus apart from these conditions. There is anecdotal evidence of an link between mobile phone use and tinnitus, but so far there have been no systematic investigations into this possible association.
100 consecutive patients presenting with tinnitus were enrolled in an individually matched case–control study. For each case a control subject was randomly selected from visiting outpatients matched for sex and age. The patient's history was obtained and clinical examinations were conducted to exclude patients with known underlying causes of tinnitus. Mobile phone use was assessed based on the Interphone Study protocol. ORs were computed by conditional logistic regression with years of education and living in an urban area as covariates.
Mobile phone use up to the index date (onset of tinnitus) on the same side as the tinnitus did not have significantly elevated ORs for regular use and intensity or for cumulative hours of use. The risk estimate was significantly elevated for prolonged use (?4 years) of a mobile phone (OR 1.95; CI 1.00 to 3.80).
Conclusions Mobile phone use should be included in future investigations as a potential risk factor for developing tinnitus.
Voor het originele abstract zie:
Lees verder in de categorie Onderzoeken | Terug naar homepage | Lees de introductie